Tuesday, June 2, 2009

First Days in Pemba

Hello all!

I've finally gotten a chance to get on the internet! I can't believe I've only been here in Pemba since Friday! So much has happened. My bags and I got here safely, and the first few days were great, with time to get into town, go to the beach, and get full nights rest for the first 3 nights and catch up on sleep after 3 days with pretty much no sleep.

The weather here is gorgeous, really not too hot, very breezy. The base is built up on a slight hill, so the sea breezes reach all the students cabins.

Sunday church was awesome as they prayed over the Mozambican Bible students and the Harvest school students who arrived. We all danced on the stage holding hands. They are pretty amazing dancers in church here! :) Quite a workout.

Monday was initiation to the nth degree. It was children's day, a holiday, and one of the two biggest days of the year for Iris. The other day is Christmas. We were all tasked on teams (I was part of the Sister Act II singing dish-washing crew ;) and fed the whole village in addition to everyone on base. The count was 2,410 people we fed lunch!!!! Wow!!!!! I didn't see a lot that went on with the children's ministry, but heard it was great.

Today was our first day of class--it started off with Randy Clark teaching the first session, with ministry time, and followed up with Heidi Baker doing the second. We finished about 1pm in time for lunch. The afternoons we have time to connect with the Iris kids in the children's center or have other meetings and opportunities. This morning was so powerful, and it's just the beginning!

To top it off, the 80 or so mission school students are soooooo amazing! They are so passionate for God, and many have tons of missions experience to offer. We range in age from 18 years old to in their 50s.

God bless you all, I don't have much time today, but hopefully soon with have some amazing testimonies to share! There have already been healings among the students. Actually one quick highlight for me so far was going out on my porch to play guitar and worship, and opening my eyes at the end of the first song to see 30+ students all over the hill in front of my cabin all lost in worship! Amen!

Angie :) <><

3 comments:

  1. Thats Awesome Angie! I've tried to txt you just in case you could get them, but figured you couldn't. I can't wait to read about your adventures and God's glory. Already looking forward to seeing you when you get back. Im in prayer everyday! Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angie... Not sure how else to contact you but I am praying everyday still!! For your safety, your health, your travel, your food, your team, your heart... well you get the point! Have a great day today. I got to preach this weekend, it was pretty cool. Take care, Robbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK!!! You better have a great excuse for never letting me know how your doing. You better be deep in the heart of Africa without phone, toilets, and an ipod. Just in case you forgot: rhouston@joycemeyer.org, robbie.houston@gmail.com, 314.971.9240. Later!

    ReplyDelete